Cubans killed in anti-government protests: Ministry of the Interior | Human Rights News


The Cuban Interior Ministry said on Tuesday that a man died in an anti-government protest on the outskirts of Havana on Monday, which is rare Demonstration Stimulated by economic inequality, the island is crumbling.

On Sunday, protesters took to the streets of the Cuban capital and other cities across the country to condemn President Miguel Diaz-Canel’s government. Food shortages and severe economic crisis Exacerbated by the coronavirus pandemic.

As the authorities suppressed the demonstrators, the rally was met with a wave of arrests and police brutality charges.

The Ministry of the Interior said on Tuesday that it “mourned” the death of a 36-year-old man named Diubis Laurencio Tejeda, and the National News Agency said he was involved in “riots.”

The Cuban News Agency stated that “organized anti-social and criminal groups” tried to reach the outskirts of the La Ginella police station with the aim of attacking its officials and destroying infrastructure.

The report also stated that several citizens and security officials were injured during the protests. It did not say how this person died.

This is the first confirmed death case protest, This is the largest in Cuba in decades.

Waldo Herrera, a 49-year-old resident of La Ginella, told Reuters that the protesters “are marching peacefully, chanting’Down with communism’,’Freedom of the Cuban people’, and’We have no medicine. We need food.'”

Herrera said the protesters started throwing stones at the security forces, and the security forces responded by shooting.

Diaz-Canel blamed the unrest on the United States and called on the defenders of the Cuban revolution to take to the streets on Sunday to fight anti-government demonstrators.

The Cuban President also stated that the US sanctions against the country are exacerbating suffering.

Amnesty International stated that it had received warning reports of “interruption of the Internet, arbitrary arrests, and excessive use of force-including police shooting at demonstrators.”

According to Cubalex, an exiled human rights organization, at least 100 protesters, activists and independent journalists across the country have been detained since Sunday. The organization stated that some people were detained during the protest, but others were detained while trying to leave their homes.

The Cuban government did not immediately comment on the arrest.

Cuba also saw The recent surge in coronavirus infectionsBecause doctors and nurses urge people to take injections to stop the spread of the virus. According to data from Johns Hopkins University, the country has reported more than 250,500 cases and more than 1,600 deaths so far.

At the same time, NetBlocks, a global Internet monitoring company, said on Tuesday that the Cuban government has restricted access to social media and messaging platforms, including Facebook and WhatsApp.

London-based NetBlocks stated on its website that Cuba’s Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram and Telegraph were partially disrupted on Monday and Tuesday.

The head of the organization, Alp Toker, said: “The restricted patterns observed in Cuba indicate that messaging platforms for organizing and sharing protest news in real time are under continuous crackdown.” Normal.”

People chanted slogans against the government during a protest in Havana on July 11 [Alexandre Meneghini/Reuters]

The government did not immediately respond to Reuters’ request for comment.

As Cuba’s uncertainty continues, U.S. Secretary of Homeland Security Alejandro Majorcas said on Tuesday that immigrants are considering going to the U.S. Irregularities at sea Will not be allowed to enter the country.

“Any migrant intercepted at sea, regardless of their nationality, will not be allowed to enter the United States,” Majorcas said at a news conference. “This risk is not worth taking.”

It is not clear whether the riots will cause more people to try to flee the island, which is separated from the United States by the Strait of Florida. Majorcas said that 20 people have died on these voyages in recent weeks. “Our priority is to protect and save lives,” he said.

.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *