Haiti asks the United Nations, the United States to send troops after the president is assassinated | International News Political News


According to several reports, after the assassination of Haitian President Giovinel Moise, the country fell into political turmoil. Haiti has asked the United Nations and the United States to send troops to help ensure the safety of critical infrastructure.

A letter from the Prime Minister’s Office to the UN Office on July 7 (the day Moise was shot at his home) stated that its purpose was to “support the national police’s efforts to rebuild security and public order throughout the territory”. Reuters The letter was reviewed.

The 15-member UN Security Council needs to authorize the deployment of UN peacekeepers or police to Haiti.

In an interview with Agence France-Presse, Election Minister Matthias Pierre also confirmed this report.

“We think that mercenaries may destroy some infrastructure and create chaos in the country. In our dialogue with the US Secretary of State and the United Nations, we made this request,” Pierre said.

The news website Military.com also reported that the United States has confirmed the request.

Lieutenant Colonel Ken Hoffman, a spokesperson for the Pentagon, told the site in an email: “The Haitian government has requested security and investigation assistance. We are in regular contact with Haitian officials to discuss how the United States can help.”

In the early hours of Wednesday morning, a team of gunmen assassinated Mois at his home in Port-au-Prince, which plunged Haiti into a deeper political crisis, which could exacerbate hunger, gang violence and the outbreak of COVID-19.

The White House said that so far, the United States has indicated that it is sending senior officials from the FBI and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) as soon as possible to assess the situation and see what best they can provide.

Two sources from the US law enforcement agency who requested anonymity to discuss the active investigation told Reuters that various agencies are investigating the links between the United States and the killing.

A State Department spokesperson said: “We are aware of the arrest of two American citizens in Haiti and are closely monitoring the situation. For privacy reasons, we have no further comment.”

‘Full of bullets’

Colombian President Ivan Duque said on Friday that the director of Colombia’s National Intelligence Agency and National Police Intelligence Agency will also travel to Haiti with Interpol to assist in the investigation.

Duke wrote on Twitter: “We provide all possible help to find out the truth about the material and intellectual perpetrators of the assassination,” he said he had just had a phone call with the interim prime minister of Haiti, Claude Joseph.

Haitian police stated that the assassination was carried out by a commando composed of 26 Colombians and 2 Haitian American mercenaries. The two Haitian Americans are identified as 35-year-old James Solach and 55-year-old Joseph Vincent, both of whom are from Florida.

After a gun battle with the Haitian authorities in Petionville, a hillside suburb of the capital Port-au-Prince where Mois lived, 17 people were arrested, including Soraki and Vincent.

A judge investigating the case told Reuters that Moise was found lying on his back on the bedroom floor, with 12 gunshot wounds on his body, and his left eye pushed in. [File: Dieu Nalio Chery/AP]

According to Haitian police, three others were killed and eight are still at large. They said that the authorities are looking for the mastermind of the operation.

A judge investigating the case told Reuters that Moise was found lying on his back on the bedroom floor with 12 gunshot wounds on his body, and his left eye was pushed in. The front door of the house was full of bullet holes and was forcibly opened, while the other rooms were looted.

“He was full of bullets,” Petionville Court Judge Carl Henry Destein said. “There is a lot of blood around the body and on the stairs.”

Who was behind the attack?

In the days after the attack, the question of who killed and why the president continued to exist in the country.

“Foreigners come to this country to commit such crimes. We Haitians are shocked,” a resident of the capital told AFP.

He added: “We need to know who is behind this incident, their names, and their backgrounds so that justice can be done.”

Port-au-Prince Government Commissioner Bedford Crowder said that the senior police officer who is directly responsible for the safety of the President of Haiti is in danger and has been summoned to appear in court.

“If you are responsible for the president’s safety, where are you? What have you done to avoid the president’s fate?” Claude said.

Others speculated that security personnel might have been involved in the killing, which added to the confusion.

“The President of the Republic, Jovenel Moise, was assassinated by his security personnel,” former Haitian Senator Steven Benoit said on Radio Magik9 on Friday.

“It was not a Colombian who killed him. They signed a contract with the Haitian government.”

Since taking office in 2017, Moise has faced massive protests against his rule-first because of corruption allegations and his management of the economy, and then his increasing control of power.

Moise himself has spoken of the dark forces behind the unrest: other politicians and corrupt oligarchs believe that his attempts to clean up government contracts and reform Haitian politics are against their interests.

General Luis Fernando Navarro, commander of the Colombian armed forces, told reporters on Friday that Colombian investigators found that between 2018 and 2020, 17 suspects had retired from the Colombian army.

The Commissioner of the Colombian National Police, Jorge Luis Vargas, stated that preliminary investigations revealed that 11 Colombian suspects travelled to Haiti through the resort city of Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic, which shares the island with Haiti. Paniola Island.

Vargas said that the other two flew to Panama and then flew to Santo Domingo, the capital of Dominica, and Port-au-Prince.

The Haitian government declared a 15-day state of emergency on Wednesday to help the authorities arrest the killer, but has since urged companies to reopen.

The murder of Moise caused confusion about who is now the legal leader of this country of 11 million people, the poorest country in the Americas.

Haitian opposition politician André Michel said: “The assassination… has created a political and institutional vacuum at the highest level of the country.” “There is no constitutional provision for this particular situation.”

The 1987 Constitution stipulated that the President of the Supreme Court should take over. But no one currently holds this role. After the postponement of elections in 2019, there is also no parliament.

Just this week, Moise appointed a new prime minister, Ariel Henry, to succeed Joseph, even though he had not been sworn in when the president was killed.

Joseph seems to be in control of the situation, but Henry, who is more optimistic by the opposition, told the Haitian newspaper Xinbao that he did not think Joseph was a legitimate prime minister.

.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *