On Sunday, the death toll from the collapse of a 12-story apartment building in northern Miami rose to nine. The search and rescue team searched the rubble for the fourth consecutive day, hoping to find survivors.
The mayor of Surfside, Charles Burkett, promised residents that the authorities are fully focused on rescue operations, but more luck is needed. “We are not short of resources,” Burckett said. “We don’t have a resource problem, we have a luck problem. We just need to start to be luckier now.”
Burkert said the search and rescue team made “substantial” progress overnight. Officials said that the rubble was burning, Hinder search work It goes out around noon on Saturday.
Teams from Israel and Mexico stepped up rescue efforts. A 125-foot-long, 20-foot-wide, and 40-foot-deep trench was built on the site overnight, allowing rescuers to find more corpses and remains.
The collapse of the Champlain Towers South building on Thursday left 156 people unaccounted for, adding to concerns about the safety of other apartment buildings, especially the sister building Champlain Towers North nearby. Burkert said on Saturday that he has sought an emergency inspection of the building.
County officials said they will conduct a comprehensive safety review of the old building. The Mayor of Miami-Dade County Daniella Levine Cava (Daniella Levine Cava) said that in the next 30 days, there will be “deep research” to evaluate buildings that are close to 40 years old or older.
However, Levin Kava said in an interview with CBS News that the review does not include buildings in the city, which have their own power.
The New York Times reported on Saturday that an engineering consultant found surprising evidence of “major structural damage” in Champlain Tanan, which collapsed in 2018. Burkert said on Sunday that the city government will conduct a “very, very, very comprehensive” investigation in 2018. Engineering reports enter the building and review other documents.
“We are now studying the documents in depth, studying communications with this particular building and other buildings, especially sister buildings, over the years,” he said.
But he reiterated that rescue operations will be the top priority. “In the United States, buildings don’t collapse,” Burckett said in ABC News. “This building obviously has something very, very wrong. We need to trace it to the end, but it is not today, not tomorrow, and not a long time, because our first and only first task is to pull our residents from there. Out of the rubble.”
Levine Cava stated that she would “support” anyone living in the sister block who wanted to evacuate, and stated that after the preliminary building inspection found no cause, the building inspector was sent to “do more detailed information about the structure of the building. Review” concerns.
Burkert said the city will provide resources for any residents who want to relocate.
Earlier this week, US President Joe Biden ordered federal assistance to supplement state and local response efforts and declared a state of emergency. The White House issued a statement on Friday that the emergency operation authorized the Federal Emergency Management Agency of the Department of Homeland Security to coordinate “all disaster relief efforts.”