China rejected the next phase of the investigation into the origin of Covid-19 led by the World Health Organization because investigators intend to consider the theory that it might leak from the Wuhan laboratory as credible.
Vice Minister Zeng Yixin of the National Health Commission told reporters at a press conference on Thursday that he was “shocked” when he saw the hypothesis of “laboratory leaks” as part of the second phase of WHO’s research plan.
“We cannot accept this kind of traceability plan,” he said, reiterating China’s claim that the theory that the virus may have leaked from a government laboratory in the central Chinese city of Wuhan where the disease was discovered at the end of 2019 is speculation.
Beijing has always stated that the origin investigation should not challenge the conclusions of Chinese and WHO scientists in the first phase of the investigation that laboratory leaks are “Extremely unlikelyChina said that investigators should go abroad to find evidence of the first human Covid-19 infection.
However, WHO Director-General Tan Desai said last week that it was “too early” to rule out the accidental release of the Covid-19 virus Sars-Cov-2 from the Wuhan laboratory.
The next phase of the investigation plan proposed by the WHO has not yet been made public. But Tedros said that this includes “audits of relevant laboratories and research institutions operating in the field of the first human cases discovered in December 2019”.
Scientists are divided on the “laboratory leak” theory and whether it should be the focus of research in tracking Covid-19’s first human infection.
Many people believe that this virus may have jumped from an animal (possibly a bat) to another intermediate host through a natural process before infecting humans. Others argue that the existing evidence does not rule out the laboratory leak theory.
US President Joe Biden, ask US intelligence agencies “doubled” their efforts in May to reach a consensus on the most likely origin theory and called on the WHO to ensure that China is included in the next phase of the investigation.
The latest coronavirus news
Pay attention to the on-site reports and analysis of the global epidemic and the rapidly evolving economic crisis by the Financial Times Here.
Beijing accused the United States of politicizing a scientific effort and suggested that Covid-19 may have been leaked from the US military laboratory Fort Detrick. China did not provide any evidence to support its claims.
Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian said: “As long as someone calls on the WHO to investigate Fort Detrick, the United States will immediately be silent.” “What dark secret is hidden in Fort Detrick?”
Zeng Qinghong also denied that Chinese researchers tried to hide certain things during their research. Claim Covid-19 sequencing data samples have been deleted from the US database. He said that the scientists only asked for the samples to be deleted after the editing process was completed because they were no longer needed.